Sure, everyone is trying to live a greener, more eco-conscious, earth friendly life, but what about spreading that love of Mother Earth to the work place? It may not be the easiest thing to do, as even I have trouble with the occasional close minded co-worker who has no interest in changing their ways, but you have got to try. Here are some simple things you can do to start spreading the love and changing the world one person at a time.
- Start a recycling program: If a recycling program has not already been started at your company, start one yourself or improve on the program already in place. Learn more at www.wastemanagement.com.
- Urge your office to use recycled materials: Encourage the office/purchasing manager to purchase products containing recycled materials.
- Share your knowledge about energy reduction: Start with your knowledge on basics such as turning off lights, computers, copiers, heat or air when unoccupied, etc. Then ask your office manager if you can schedule an energy audit with a local energy provider to determine how to reduce energy consumption.
- Reduce Junk Mail: Check into ways to reduce business junk mail, look into www.mailstopper.tonic.com.
- Reuse Paper: Use both sides of each piece of paper, for everything from taking notes, printing documents, fax coversheets and more.
- Last but not least – The Break Room: Ask fellow co-workers to bring in their old cups, mugs, plates, cloth napkins, and silverware to replace disposable items in the break room. While you are at it encourage them to bring their own lunch too, which will reduce a large amount of waste.